Incognito, in my opinion, is THE best mosquito repellent for Thailand, by a wide mile. I absolutely swear by this stuff – it’s DEET-free, and, in my ongoing, 5+ year Incognito love affair test phase, I’ve found it works perfectly against Thai mosquitoes *and* house flies.
How can I avoid mosquitoes in Thailand?
Tips for reducing the chance of being bit
Mosquitoes thrive in cool dark areas with unmoving water. Protect yourself by removing or securing all items that can collect water and act as mosquito breeding grounds. When possible, avoid areas with still water such as shallow ponds and marshes.
Are mosquitoes a problem in Thailand?
In Thailand, mosquitoes are at their worst during and just after the rainy season (June through October), but they are a nuisance all year round—though the risk of catching Dengue Fever and Japanese B encephalitis from one of them is greater during the rainy season.
What is the most effective mosquito repellent?
Quick Answer: Best Mosquito Repellents
- Best Overall: Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent.
- Best DEET: OFF! …
- Best Natural: Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent.
- Best Wipes: Cutter Family Mosquito Wipes.
- Best Ultrasonic: Neatmaster Ultrasonic Pest Repeller.
- Best Candle: Repel Insect Repellent Citronella Candle.
Why is DEET not good?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved DEET for use in people of all ages, including children. Some people experience rashes or irritated skin after using DEET, and it can irritate eyes if you spray it too close. More alarming, there have been rare reports of seizures associated with DEET.
What should you not wear in Thailand?
What to Wear: Everyday Outfits
- DO: Short skirts and shorts are ok to wear. …
- DON’T: Although short skirts and shorts are totally acceptable to wear, you shouldn’t be able to see your butt cheeks!
- DON’T: Wearing a spaghetti strap shirt and/or going barefoot are not appropriate choices.
What smell does mosquito hate?
Many natural scents that are appealing to humans actually repel mosquitoes, including lavender, peppermint, basil, and eucalyptus. Many of these scents can be worn as an essential oil on your skin to help keep these pesky pests from biting you.
How bad are mosquitoes in Bangkok?
Some mosquitoes in Thailand can transmit tropical diseases, such as dengue fever. But don’t let that stop you from traveling there; the risk of contamination is low. You should however protect yourself as best you can (see guidelines above) and prevent as many mosquito bites as possible.
Does Tiger Balm repel mosquitoes?
Tiger balm: Probably thanks to it’s potent scent, tiger balm seems to temporarily put mosquitos off. … Despite not being designed as a mosquito repellent, Avon’s popular body oil has received rave reviews as being effective at preventing bites.
Where is the safest place in Thailand?
Traveler Alert: 8 Safe Places To Visit In And Around Thailand
- CHIANG MAI. Though a large and bustling city, Chiang Mai is a safe destination. …
- HUA HIN. Located southwest of Bangkok, Hua Hin has almost magically escaped the pressing crowds of tourists. …
- KRABI. …
- KOH SAMUI. …
- CHIANG RAI. …
- KANCHANABURI. …
- PHANG NGA. …
- KUALA LUMPUR.
What is the best way to keep mosquitoes from biting you?
7 ways to prevent mosquito bites
- Dump out any standing water near your home. …
- Keep mosquitoes outside. …
- Use mosquito repellent. …
- Wear light-colored clothing, especially outdoors. …
- Stay indoors during dusk and dawn. …
- Make yourself less appealing. …
- Try a natural repellent.
What really works to repel mosquitoes?
The most effective repellents contain DEET, picaridin or oil of eucalyptus (pmenthane3,8diol). DEET at 30% is quite effective. Lower concentrations of any product need to be applied more often. Interestingly, products with the same active ingredient sometimes had very different Consumer Reports rankings.
What will keep mosquitoes away?
Basil, lemon balm, catnip, citrosum, peppermint, rosemary, lavender, and sage are all plants you can count on to keep mosquitoes away with their beautiful scents.
What is the best deet-free mosquito repellent?
When you need a spray that really works, consider one of these top-rated, DEET-free insect repellent sprays.
- Best Overall: Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent. …
- Best for Home: Eco Defense Home Pest Control Spray. …
- Just for Kids and Babies: Auntie Fannie’s Mosquito Spray.
Is DEET cancerous?
The U.S. EPA’s Office of Pesticide Programs has classified DEET as a Group D chemical, not classifiable as a human carcinogen. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has not classified DEET as to its carcinogenicity.
How dangerous is DEET to humans?
People that have left DEET products on their skin for extended periods of time have experienced irritation, redness, a rash, and swelling. People that have swallowed products containing DEET have experienced stomach upset, vomiting, and nausea. Very rarely, exposure to DEET has been associated with seizures in people.